Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sexy but Nerve Racking

My husband loves motorcycles. He has since his early 20's. In the beginning he had a sport bike. He loved going fast. In fact, he loved the speed so much that eventually he started to dabble on the race track.
His R1 that he sold not too long after he married me. He loved this bike but had no real good reason to keep it. I should probably take credit for the fact that its gone. He really did not want to sell it. I could not find any good pictures with him on this bike alone... he always seemed to have an old girlfriend with him.

After a while he got into off road riding as well. He bought himself a dirt bike and joined the single track team on Search and Rescue. That was a completely different way to ride and he loved that too. He loved the technicality of it and the challenge. And he loved riding in Moab and other places with his SAR buddies.

Curtis in the little Sahara in Utah.

In Moab with his SAR buddies.
Finally, when he realized that riding long distances on a sport bike was a little uncomfortable, he bought himself a yellow VTX cruiser. This was the bike that we rode off on when we were married. I claim it as my bike even though I do not ride it myself.

Curtis on his VTX Cruiser on the Nebo loop before I met him.

I love the fact my husband rides. As I watch him ride off in his vintage looking brown leather jacket, helmet, and sunglasses I can't help but think he is one sexy guy. His personality and look fits a motorcycle well and I love riding with him.

I do however find it a bit nerve racking that my husband is a biker. Although he is very skilled and maneuvers his motorcycle well on the road, people often times do not see him and other riders like him. He has had a few close calls. Once he had to kick a car to get the drivers attention while on the freeway because the driver was moving over into his lane and neglected to see him. He has also nearly hit a deer on a few occasions. You see its not if a motorcyclist goes down, its when a motorcyclist goes down. And Curtis has already gone down a few times. On his dirt bike alone he has gone down dozens of times only really injuring himself badly once... that is if you don't take into consideration 3rd degree burns. On the pavement he has gone down twice. Both times he was not severely injured and both times there were no other cars involved.  Once was on the track while racing, and the other was due to slipping on gravel. That's right folks. Gravel, water, ice, potholes, large bumps. stinging bees and other animals can all take a motorcyclist down. Yeah they have enough to worry about as it is without crazy drivers who can't share the roads.

So now do you see why I worry? What normal wife would not. The thing is, I have no desire for Curtis to stop riding. Like I said he is so darn sexy on his bikes. And I really do enjoy taking the back seat with him and riding off to see the country side. Once the kids are grown, I even hope to get a bike of my own and ride at his side. But as it warms up I pray everyday that other drivers will see my husband before they make their turns, switch lanes, or proceed through a light or stop sign. Because if someone were to ever take his life I would be heart broken. So please all you out there, watch out for motorcyclist and share the road!

1 comment:

  1. Curtis is just like Grandpa Dudley...his love of motorcycles :)

    ReplyDelete