Monday, August 13, 2012

Losing my Go To Girl


I was one of those lucky people that had the opportunity and pleasure of growing up with three Grandmas. I love each and everyone of them for different reason because frankly they are very different people. Recently my Grandma Mangels has passed away. Grandma Mangels was my spunky Grandma full of love and fun. Her and I were very close and spoke on the phone often. I always felt like I could go to her with any problem and she would help talk me through it. She was my Go To Girl. So when I got that first text from my mom that she was not doing well and would most likely not live much longer I was devastated. So what do I do? I call her of course and tell her in tears that she could not die. I needed her. She chuckled and said, " You can talk to me any time Becky. Just go to your memory and remember all that I have taught you." The truth is, she did teach me a lot. She taught me that it was ok to be a little different and weird. She taught me how to love unconditionally. She taught me what it means to be patient but at the same time how important it was to stand up for what I believe in.

Grandma was a hard working gal with a fun sense of humor and an addicting laugh. Sometimes she would start laughing so hard she would turn bright red and run for the bathroom before she had an embarrassing accident. She dressed to match her personality in bright colors and prints. She loved people and people loved her, and she loved me. You see she is not technically related to me by blood. But she is one of those amazing people where that makes no difference. And I could feel that. And that meant the world to me.

Her memorial was held on the 9th of August the day before her 77th birthday. Over 200 people showed up to her service. And about a dozen people approached me to tell me how special my Grandma was and how she had changed their life with compassion and service. Truly an amazing lady.

Grandma, I will miss our long talks. I will miss your smile and witty personality. I will miss your hugs and excitement for life. But I am glad that you are no longer hurting anymore. I am glad that you can finally rest. All I ask is that you keep a good watch over me and be my angel to help guide me when I need it. Till we meet again Grandma. I love you.

Joanne Inez Ferris Mangels, 76 - Daily Inter Lake: Obituaries

1 comment: