Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cupcakes from Jake



It was the year 2009 and it was my birthday. I was at the time separated from my X. He was living with his folks and I and the kids were at our home. I woke up that morning somewhat excited because my X had promised to spend some time with me since it was my birthday. We went over to my parents in laws and gathered everyone to go to the Provo Parade. My X handed me a card and an open bag of chocolates and said happy birthday. I found this strange because he had always made a big deal over my birthdays in the past... this was not a good sign. But he had promised to spend some time with me so that was at least something. After about an hour of bands playing and people waving we headed home to my place. My X then said he had to go back to his place to grab something but would be back within the hour. 3 hours past. No one came. I started to realize that day that I had truly lost any love my X had for me. It was not like him to act so indifferent to the fact I was having a birthday. I started to cry. I felt alone, and desparetely sad. Then there was a knock. It was Jake, my home teacher. He told me that as he was shopping in the store he had a feeling that he should buy and bring me some cupcakes. So there he was at my doorstep with festive fourth of July chocolate cupcakes. I told him it had been my birthday and it had not been a good one. He had no idea it was my birthday. But he had been prompted to give me cupcakes. Cake had never meant so much to me and it really lifted my spirits that day. The rest of the day did not go well with my X. But I had those cupcakes. Thanks Jake for listening to the promptings of the spirit.

This 4th of July I spent with my family at Lincoln Beach. I was wished happy birthday by many. And I was surprised to get a text from Jake letting me know that he had left cupcakes at my neighbors house for when I got home. Now I was no where miserable that day. I was happy spending time with those I loved. But it did make me feel grateful for people like Jake who take the time to try and help others out even when they are not sure why they are doing the things that they do. Because even though cake means little to me... its the action of giving and caring that truly counted that July 4th of 2009. Not to mention later on that year he gave me Curtis because he felt inspired to set us up. I owe Jake a lot. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment