Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dandelions!!!



Today while my adorable baby slept I decided to head out and wage war against my dandelions that are wreaking havoc upon my lawn. Because it had rained recently they were pretty easy to dig up and the temperature was perfect so I comfortably dug up maybe 80 of these beloved weeds! As I used my weed digger to uproot these pesky flowers, my thoughts turned to why we have these flowers to begin with.

Dandelions are not native to the Americas. If you dare to believe it, they were actually brought over by some of the first settlers and planted near their villages as a source of food! That's right Dandelions were actually used as a source of food and are really quite nutritious. You can make dandelion coffee, salad, tea, wine or just eat the root raw. I bet the settlers appreciated this invasive weed a lot more than we do!

Maybe my neighbor appreciates them as well... because looking at her lawn I sigh in frustration knowing that my weed free front lawn will not last for long if the wind blows my direction... which I am sure it will. I wonder if she will know its me if I leave her some Weed B Gone on her front porch?

To end this small blog I would just like to thank the dandelion for helping out the settlers when this land was still fairly untouched. I would also like to tell the dandelion that although it has done great things in the past, I would really rather it go somewhere else so I can be like all those old people who due to the lack of things to do, have perfect lawns! Oh and all the kids in the neighborhood, go somewhere else to make your wish! (Ha ha I sound like an old grumpy man).

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I love this interesting (and nerdy ;) ) post. That is actually pretty interesting. I have a friend that makes salads with dandelions. Kind of cool actually. You just reminded me that I want to read the book "Dandelion Wine"

    ReplyDelete