Tuesday, January 4, 2011

You Never Know What a Year Will Bring



“It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things.”
- Donald Miller

Change. Change is the one word that I feel best describes this year for our family. Both of our lives have changed drastically in different ways. Curtis had been single off and on for over five years and was living a fairly care free lifestyle playing hard and collecting lots of toys. I was recovering and working through the pain associated with my last marriage while taking care of my kids and trying to figure out a one year plan. Within one year, Curtis and I met, fell in love, got married, got pregnant and had a baby. Essentially the kids and I gained a husband, a friend, and a Dad. And Curtis received a wife who adores him, and three kids. Both of us needed each other and both of us needed these changes simply because it was right. Neither of us even anticipated that this much change would occur in our lives in such a short period of time.

Even though all these changes were welcome, they had their challenges. You see in order for change to occur you have to give things and people up… essentially sometimes you have to leave a life behind to start a new one. Curtis had to give up some of his playtime so that he could be the man the kids and I need him to be. I had to move my family out to Eagle Mountain and adjust to having a husband who was as active as Curtis. We both had to change certain aspects of our lifestyle to make the other feel more comfortable in the relationship. Some of these changes were difficult for us to make but at the same time they came with some ease because of the respect and immense love we have for each other.

Change. I always did welcome change. Its what keeps life interesting for me, but as I get older and wiser I realize that some things are better left unchanged. I can tell you one thing that has not changed at all for over a year now… I love my family, I love my husband and kids, and that will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment