Wednesday, February 12, 2014

While The Children Are Away

While the Children are away, the parents will play, and Becky will miss them more than you can understand. That is right folks, Curtis and I went on a cruise without our children and we were gone for 9 days. We visited  Roatan in Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel, Mexico. The weather was perfect at all three ports, our excursions were all well chosen, and our time together was precious. I did however miss my kids and was relieved to get back to them at the end of our adventures. We had a mishap getting home which detained us in Houston for 24 more hours but other than that things went very smoothly. Although I need to warn everyone that Frontier Airlines is not a customer friendly way to travel and if you can avoid them I would urge you to do so.

I will not go into detail about the entire cruise, I will however post some pictures with captions for your enjoyment.

Roatan, Honduras 

As always Curtis starts his day with 2 chocolate Milks. This was of course followed by another 2-4 chocolate milks for every dinner:)

Standing in front of our ship.

We ported in Mahogany Bay. I spent more money here than I have spent in our entire marriage!

Getting ready to dive near Anthony's Key. We had our picture taken by another diver and gave him our email, we are hoping to get actual dive pictures soon.

After dive. Hair doing its own thing as it always does but isn't it gorgeous there! I think we may have to go back one day.

No he is not compensating for anything:)

We were pretty tired after today so we hung out in the room. Curtis watched Iron Man 3 times during this cruise ha ha.
 Belize

Curtis and I on a river boat

A short clip of the river boat ride. They would stop whenever we came near a fisherman to be polite.

There was a spider money in a tree near the river. I had a candy bar and the monkey came out of the tree in hopes I would share. I shared:)

First ruin we saw in Lamanai. This one was not as tall as the others.
At the top of one of the Mayan ruins.

This one was scary for me to climb. It made me very nervous because the steps got pretty narrow toward the top. Curtis however climbed it without even using the rope they provided.

On my way up

View of the jungle from the largest ruin in the Lamanai area. You could hear the Howler monkeys call from here.


Curtis climbing the last ruin. This one was not as tall as the last one. Many of these ruins were used as sacrificial areas.

It was eerie for me to think they used to play a soccer like game with fresh human heads after the sacrifices had been made in fields just like this one.

Curtis climbing down the last ruin.
 Cozumel, Mexico

On our way to the mainland!

We took a tour of a cave called Head of the Stone. It was only discovered in 2007\.

Before they let you go in they burn resin and ask permission to the Mayan God to enter this sacred place.

They made us shower down and remove all chemicals from our body. They also required everyone to use their gear to keep the cave from getting contaminated. All good things. Walking sticks were provided to help balance yourselves so that people do not grab onto the formations for support. Brilliant idea.

This cave has not been completely mapped. They do not know how big it is.

Trying to keep things fresh in the marriage:) What can I say, I am sappy.

Some parts of the subterranean river were pretty deep. Caught in the act!

Curtis was helping out a younger kid on our tour.

The cave has several openings. All of which were pretty.




This cave once was part of a coral reef. Evidence of such is all over the cave.


Many little critters live in this cave.
The tour description described this as a treacherous cave. I did not find it to be treacherous at all and in fact it was pretty easy to maneuver through. The rooms were large and the spaces going from one part to another part of the cave were not tiny.




How people say these are ugly I do not know.

 The rest of our cruise went smoothly till we tried to come back home. the fog was so thick we were 8 hours late coming in, which in turn made us arrive 30 minutes before our flight left. Frontier airlines would not allow us to attempt to board and we missed our flight. Although by doing so we got to see Curtis's Uncle Buck which he had not seen in many many years.
Uncle Buck


I would like to personally thank everyone who helped out with the kids and getting us to and from the airport. Without all of you we could never have pulled this off. You are all awesome!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment