Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My little Mini Me

I know this is an older picture (about three years ago) but I do not have a lot of picture with Sage and I together. Looks like I need to get a few more:)
As my little girl grows, I am coming to realize that my little girl is turning out to be just like me. Not to say she is 100% like me, but we have a lot in common. These are the things I have noticed.

Physical
Sage does not look exactly like me but we do have a lot of similar characteristics.

We are both short and petite. Growing up I was always one of the shortest in my class. Today Sage is the second to shortest in her third grade class.

We both have big brown eyes. Sage is the only one of my 4 kids that got my eyes (all three of my boys have blue eyes.)  Our eyes are the same shape and color and you can read exactly what we are feeling in those big brown eyes of ours... they are very expressive.

We both want to be graceful in the art of dance and movement... but lets face it, both of us struggle with the notion of grace. I tapped for 3 years when I was a child, but I never seemed to be able to tap and make it look good! Sage is in gymnastics. She can do a lot of the stuff that requires strength and precision, but when they ask her to be graceful using her arms, body, and hands its almost laughable.

Hobbies and Tallents
Sage has an amazing ability to understand literature and read literature. She is now the fastest reader in her class and has an ability to interpret a story and foresee the ending far before any of the other kids. When I was in third grade I too had a knack for literature. I would write story after story and I could write down my thoughts and ideas with more pizazz than the other kids. My teacher actually sent me to a special conference for young gifted writers.

Sage loves animals and science. Not only does she read a lot about science, she remembers it because she finds it interesting. When I was younger I found that I had a natural talent to understand and apply science. I never had to try too hard to get a good grade in any of my science classes.

Sage loves to be in nature. She loves when we take family trip to National Parks and while at home she is always asking to go outside so she can play with the animals or simply read in a tree. I used to read in trees when I was young too. I also yearned to be out in the woods and would spend hours by myself with my cat exploring my surroundings.

Love
Sage is a very loving individual. She loves to love people and is very good at letting another people know that they are loved. She is always giving hugs and compliments to everyone. When I was younger I was not nearly as out going as she was... so I was not as forthcoming with my love to others. But as I have grown into an adult woman and as I gained confidence in myself and others, I too have realized that I get a lot of pleasure out of loving other people and I too am very capable of making others around me feel good about themselves.

Sage needs to be loved or she feels empty. I know that a lot of people are like this but it really affects Sage if she feels unloved. She has to have human contact with people. She has to be hugged and kissed or she gets down. When she is sick and is confined to her room so she does not get her brothers sick, she struggles with her loneliness. I too am dependent on love. If I am not being loved by someone I get depressed. And I too am in need of physical contact. I like to cuddle, hug and kiss.

Preference for People over Things
Sage is a people person. She has been this way since she was a baby. She was never interested in toys, all she wanted to do was interact with her family. As she has grown her lack of interest in things is apparent. You can tell this by how she treats her toys. She really does not care if you take them away, or if they get lost. She has very little respect for her things. But people mean a lot to her. And again you can tell by how she treats people. She stops on her way home from school to visit a handful of people every week. She writes little notes of adoration to her friends and her family. She goes out of her way to cheer someone up when they are feeling sad. She LOVES people.

I place little value on things as well. I do take care of my things but want and need very little. The only things that mean anything to me are things that have been given to me out of love... little things that may have cost little to nothing. I find people far more interesting and would trade all I had to be with those I love. 

These are just a few things I have noticed as of late that Sage and I have in common. There is obviously more but these things stand out the most. I am so thankful to have my daughter Sage in my life. I love the fact that her and I have so much in common. I love how we can relate to each other and our needs. I am so happy to be a mother of a daughter like Sage, my Mini Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment